Setting a budget for setting up your home office furniture finds is never easy. Between shipping costs, finding exactly the right style, and wanting a comfy chair, prices can start to skyrocket. But, although home office designs can be expensive, they don’t have to be.
There are a couple of things you want to keep in mind when shopping on a budget.
- Stick to your budget – there is no reason to set a limit if you aren’t going to follow it. So, find a reasonable spending amount and plan accordingly.
- Get creative – if you can’t find exactly what you want, could you DIY it? Otherwise, can you find something similar that goes with your style and fits your budget?
- Spend where you need it – buy the big things first. If you need a desk, that is your number one priority. Plus, a desk chair. Getting a comfy chair comes at the top of the list for expenses, so it is something you should allocate a larger portion of your budget to.
There are a few places you can go to shop for used office furniture, if that is what you are looking for.
- Try googling “used office furniture” and a number of locations near you will pop up. For example, “used office furniture Charlotte” brings up a number of warehouses, liquidators, and individual sellers nearby.
- Check out Habitat for Humanity. This charity is likely to have big ticket items – a door, a large desk, things to build a room, rather than office supplies.
If you are just looking for slightly cheaper options, check out something like cleanitsupply.com. This website offers great products for warehouse prices, with free shipping (a huge win if you don’t have a way to transport large items to and from your house and the store).
If you know you have friends who are also renovating their homes or home offices, check out Facebook Marketplace. While this may not have everything you need, it is sure to have plenty of options that could be thrifted and turned into exactly what you were looking for.
Finally, if you still simply can’t find what you need, adjust a little.
If you are looking for a big desk, but a small kitchen table instead. With a little sanding and a paint job, this will add a functional, fashionable piece to your office. If you are looking for filing cabinets, maybe just grab a file organizer. Smaller, simpler options are likely to be cheaper. Plus, they can be easily replaced if you change your mind, need more space, or move.
If you want a computer or computer software, make sure to shop around. Otherwise, your job may offer either discounts, or employee technology. Check with your IT department before purchasing anything. If nothing else, they are sure to be able to give you advice on what you are likely to need for your job.
If you want storage, see if you can do it yourself. Rather than buying a custom-made desk organizer, grab a couple boxes or bins from Target and see what you can put together.
While you may be tempted to splurge on your office, you might not be able to afford it quite yet. And that is okay! With a little bit of exploring and creativity, you can easily put together the home office of your dreams with used furniture, discount supplies, or a little DIY project and some thrifting.
If organization, rather than furniture, is your biggest problem, check out our article on “Organization is Hard for Everyone.”
More From Office Upgraded
The Coolest Cutting-Edge Tech
Thanks to today’s high-tech gadgets, “home sweet home” is getting a whole lot sweeter. Not only do these clever tools make everyday tasks easier, they save time, cut down on clutter, and let you customize almost every aspect of your life. Also benefiting from the up-tick in tech-type gizmos are the family room and living […]
Ground Rules For Working At Home
Looking for some tips on working from home? With many folks now stuck working from home far longer than intended, it’s important to set some ground rules for a work-life balance. While it may be hard to stay organized and keep yourself motivated, here at Office Upgraded we have a few ways to help. There are […]
The Most Popular (Classic-Chic) Interior Design Styles for 2021
Branching off of our article on The Most Popular (Modern) Interior Design Styles for 2021 interior design can come in a variety of styles, not all of them modern. Understanding what you like, and your personal preferences, is one of the first steps in creating a home-office space that you will enjoy for as long […]